My slightly unhealthy, semi-frequent problem is actually not as new as I thought


After much thought and reflection over my previous post, I came to the realization that binge watching has been something I’ve done as long as I can remember. 

            When I was living in Korea, still a 3 or 4-year-old kid, one of my earliest memories are of me watching the Lion King, rewinding the VCR after it was done, and watching it again. I would binge Disney movies by myself while my parents tutored my sister. 

            In America, we owned a boxy 12-inch screen TV that had a built in DVD player, and everyday I would be watching at least 1 or 2 movies on it. I practically lived with headphones on my head, and a remote control in my hand. I watched all the Bill Nye the Science Guy, Man vs. Wild, Top Gear, Jimmy Neutron, Avatar the Last Airbender, BBC’s Planet/Blue Earth documentaries, creepy conspiracy documentaries, Dirtiest Jobs with Mike Rowe, and Mythbusters that the Champaign Public Library had in their catalog, and much more. Every time my family would go to the library, we would drop off a good 12-inch stack of DVDs off and borrow another. My house had a drawer stuffed with plastic Champaign Public Library bags. 

            On one side, now I realize where all the miscellaneous/useless facts in my head come from, and on another, I realize that it isn’t so weird that I’m able to binge something for a solid 16+ hours without my eyes starting to bleed.

Comments

  1. Those are really solid choices for shows to binge watch as a kid. When I was a kid I exclusively watched Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney. I'm glad you were at least able to retain some miscellaneous facts because I sure as well wasted hundreds of hours of my life. It's worth it though because what else do you have to do as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay first of all the Lion King is still one of my all time favorite movies, so a good choice of things to binge watch. But I definitely relate to this. Especially on Netflix, it's so easy to just watch one more episode, and then another, until you've wasted four hours of your night starting at a screen. I actually ended up deleting my account for this semester so that I would be (hopefully) more productive. I like your memories of the things you watched as a kid, because I also watched a lot of those and remember random facts from them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts