My slightly unhealthy semi-frequent problem.



            As the title suggests, I have a problem. At least, sometimes. 

            Usually, I go throughout the day fine. I go to school, I laugh with my friends, if I can get a couple of subbies I haven’t talked to before to crack a smile throughout the day, I get the warm and fuzzies, I go to whatever extracurriculars I have that day, I eat food with my family at home, roll around with my cats, procrastinate homework by doing homework, actually do homework eventually and go to sleep. Normal day. But sometimes, out of nowhere, I suddenly get an urge. Maybe its triggered by something as small as seeing a relationship in an ad for YouTube, or seeing a cute couple post a very heartwarming picture of them on Instagram, whatever it is, as soon as I’m at home I go on a hunt. 

            After I scour through multiple ranked lists, I usually end up settling at drama3s.com (haha I don’t have money to pay for Dramafever or Viki) and look at the rankings and cover arts to decide which drama I’ll be binging watching. After I watch through a couple different ones, I decide on one that I’ll keep watching, and the rest is history.

            I have a problem with binging K Dramas (Korean Television Dramas). Pre-2017, I used to laugh at them. I heard of the hype and love for them throughout the internet and small conversations. The mistaken initial impression I had of them were that they were dumb, disgustingly cheesy, have low production quality, but at the same time, horribly addicting. 

            Summer of 2017, my family and I visited Korea for the first time since we had immigrated here (fun fact: we were only supposed to stay for a year, but the reason we stayed is a very long story). It was an extremely enriching and powerful trip for me, but I’ll keep the details of how and why for a different blog post. Anyways, throughout the whole trip, I was extremely frustrated. 

Before the trip, I thought that I was actually pretty good at Korean. While I couldn’t read or write, I thought that I would be fine speaking to my relatives in Korea because I could speak fine with my parents. Turns out that just speaking a language other than English at home doesn’t mean that you are actually very fluent in the language because your parents’ speaking habits are only one of many. I came back from Korea with a fire, determined to master Korean, and truly be able to communicate and connect with my relatives oversees. 

            It started with a Korean TV show that uploaded its highlight clips on YouTube (Knowing Brothers/아는 형님). I told myself that I needed to consume as much Korean content as possible, so that I could become acquainted with the language and culture. The show was perfect because it had little Korean captions, so I could practice reading, and it was also hilarious in general. I started to get the hang of Korean humor, and comedy (very different from American btw…). Then somehow I began to watch My Love From the Stars/별에서 그대 and I was officially hooked. 

            It wasn’t like I had never binged shows before. I went on some very epic binges of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and the Walking Dead (once stayed up 3 night watching GoT, many regrets afterwards, don’t do it). But something about the show resonated with me so deeply that I soon became addicted. Over the course of July and August of 2017, I binged and finished about 10 Korean Dramas, starting another as soon as I finished one. I just couldn’t get myself to stop before school started, and then after school started, and then it became a problem. 

            I only later realized that it was because I was enjoying entertainment within and from a culture that I had put aside. I had spent so much time trying to adjust to and adopt American culture, that in the process, I had put aside the Korean in place for American customs, logic, ideals, humor, and etc to make myself fit in with my peers. It felt as though I was rediscovering repressed parts of myself, and within the excitement, I had become addicted to the rediscovery, and it snowballed to a problem. 

Now, I’ve come to a point where honestly, I’ve watched so many “watch-worthy” shows that I’ve exhausted most lists. If I do start watching something, its usually in the middle of airing meaning I can’t binge through the whole show and get sucked into a binge dark-hole. Thankfully, I’ve gotten better at controlling myself but… *sigh* it’s just those warm&fuzzies/butterflies you get when you watch those sappy semi-generic romantic Korean show man… 

Hit me up if you want K Drama suggestions. (please indulge me)

Comments

  1. I too, have binge watched GoT until 3:00 in the morning. I feel your pain.

    I think I have a similar problem, but probably one that sounds slightly stupider. When I get really stressed out and just NEED mindless entertainment, I sign in to my little brother's youtube account and binge-watch all of the Minecraft lets-plays he likes. IDK why. I don't play Minecraft. I just find them calming.

    It occurs to me I maybe shouldn't post this b/c it's kind of embarrassing, but I don't think I have any dignity left anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey video game lets plays are lit. By lit i mean stress relieving. And Elizabeth, you have much of dignity left!

      Delete
    2. (insert crying laughing emojis because there is not other adequate way to express my face at the moment)
      Sometimes, very rarely (I hope), but sometimes I do the same and just mindlessly watch some very cheap, low quality entertainment to just chill out. It's odd, but hey, what else are vines useful for eh?

      Delete
  2. Abraham, this is a great post. I know your relative communication pain. Whenever I go to China I kinda stop talking. All my relatives think I'm dumb (it's interesting to experience this in reverse--usually it's Americans who think of foreigners as dumb. But like everyone everywhere else thinks americans are dumb so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). Anyways, this post was very honest and well written. TV is super addicting. Fight the black hole!

    Also, it's not just subbies. Your jokes always make my day better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! ("everyone everywhere else thinks americans are dumb" I'm dead)

      Yeah having foreign relatives that speak something other than English is quite a struggle if your not completely 100% fluent in the language. I'll do my best to fight the black hole! And thank you so much! I try my best :)

      Delete
  3. When you were talking about your knowledge of Korean, it really struck a chord with me. I am the same way when it comes to Cantonese; I can speak and understand, but I'm unable to really read or write anything besides the numbers one, two, and three. Even when I speak with family members back in Vietnam,, they say I apparently have a Korean accent? Even though I don't know a single word of Korean?!? I love your honesty and reliability!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah that's really funky.

      Cantonese with a Korean accent even though your not Korean. The struggles of being somewhat bilingual never ceases to confuse me. (I'm glad you liked the post!)

      Delete
  4. I've watched around eight or so K-dramas, but my situation is entirely different. I'm half Korean but I know absolutely nothing about the language, culture, etc. (apart from my Korean mom being the stereotypical tiger mom at times) so it's pretty interesting to see the differences in society there, even if a lot of stuff is exaggerated. I totally relate with binging- The first K-drama I watched was My Love From the Stars, and unfortunately I found it the night before the physics final. I ended watching nine 1-hour episodes that night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post reminded me of the time during freshman year when I got hooked on K-dramas. It was the week before finals and I was just finishing Descendants of the Sun (which is really good!!) and starting to watch The Heirs. I'm not proud to say that I binged Heirs in three days and procrastinated studying for my math final. If you had encountered me and my friends during that period of time, 99% of the time we were fangirling over a k-drama. (We had a shared drama fever account loll.) Thanks for sharing this post and reminding me of my love for k-dramas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really relate to this. I've regrettably had my crazy binge marathons (but some shows are just too good to pace xD). I love your honesty in you post and the fact you wanted to use K-drama as a way to understand the Korean language and culture better.
    I love binge-watching anime and K-drama, but since my family is Chinese, I don't really have a purpose for watching them except for pure entertainment. I tried finding Chinese dramas to help me learn Chinese, although it didn't last long. I like K-drama's sappy romantic story lines way too much.
    I'm happy for you that you can kill two birds with one stone when you watch K-drama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is actually less relatable for me because I don't really binge watch shows all that often. I do really like the title of the post and it definitely grabbed my attention. Maybe i will try watching some Korean Drama to see what all the hype is about :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I will address your first line saying "As the title suggests, I have a problem. At least, sometimes." Don't we all, though? Doesn't every single person on this spinning ball in the middle of the galaxy we call "Earth" have one problem or another? The question is, how harmful is that problem?
    Regardless, it's almost funny how much I related to your comment about being capable of speaking your home language but not being able to read or write. Your note about how being able to speak a different language at home not meaning you were actually proficient at the language really struck a chord. A few years back, I had visited my grandmother in Vietnam and had to speak Cantonese with everyone there since they didn't know a word of English there. They all made comments about how the way I spoke Chinese was very unpolished and had a Korean accent, which is funny since I don't know a word Korean.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts