Explanation of the Blog Title: AH, SH


            Between the moments of “lets work on creating your blogs” and the subtle shifts in Ms. Majerus’ body language as she looked around the room preparing to move on to a different topic 10 minutes later, a slight onset of panic rose up my throat. While I had been mindlessly scrolling through the various blogger themes, I hadn’t thought of a proper name for the blog. I couldn’t think of a proper name for the blog. Now, I was nervous.

Many English teachers tell you that you should never worry about titles until near the end of the writing process, I never follow that advice. I almost always start with a title on whatever piece of writing I’m working on, to put me into a specific mood, and narrow me down into a sort of topic or theme. So, this was a big moment. A big commitment. What I chose now would essentially be permanent (of course, I could change it later, but who really changes it later?). 

So, I thought hard about what it really was I wanted to tell people. Show people. What was something new, something different, something you all haven’t encountered or experienced yet? What could I offer you? 

It was me.

At least, kind of. Or, I think, or I’d like to believe so.

If you didn’t already know, I’m very into photography and videography, and with those interests, the traditional thing to do of this post-2015 era of youth is to make a vlog. But I never have, not only because I am a refined man who does not flock like sheep towards “popular” trends, but because I feel like I just don’t do very many interesting things in my life. The “me” that I would show you through a vlog would not be very different from the “me” that you see in the hallways every day, and that’s just not very interesting to watch. 

But I’ve chosen to write about myself on this blog. Why? Because writing is a very different medium from video, in that I can really bring you into my thoughts, and ideas. Video is fantastic to show events that occur, and a good filmmaker can even convey complex thoughts. But as my friend Sam Li always loves to rub in my face, there is nothing that can beat writing in effectively navigating one’s self-aware, and conscious psyche (he also likes to argue that writing is a superior medium than film, but well. I can argue about that later.)

Declaring the fact that I will be blogging about myself is synonymous to the fact that I believe I have something you all haven’t encountered or experienced yet to offer you in what I write, which is the part where my confidence stumbles. As the true, compliment-hypocrite that I am, while I tell other’s that their ideas and experiences come from a unique perspective, therefore should be more valued by them, I have trouble believing the words I tell others myself. 

This blog is titled AH, SH (not the noises you make when you have a lightbulb moment, followed by the librarian reprimanding you for exclaiming aloud), for the two names that I live with: Abraham Han, Seungyeop Han. The title is representative of the ongoing search of identity that I live through (as I’m sure we all do), the journey of self-discovery, a journey I hope to take you on. So please bear with me, I will try my best to provide new and refreshing perspectives, while not falling into a generic angst trap of complaints. This is new to me, and I’m sure it’s to you as well.

Comments

  1. Ah! Shhhhh That's hilarious and genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog's title! I also relate to the struggles of naming something you know will be important. I also always name my essays before starting, because I enjoy concisely defining it before really digging deep into the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the title to indicate "Ah! Shhhh" when I saw it, but I'm glad you've explored that choice and the multiple meanings the title has for you. Although I think picking a title toward the end of working on a project makes sense, it's always kind of nice when a title comes early and helps define the project as you go along. But with some projects (like a blog you're starting or a child you've just brought into the world), you sort of have to plunge in and give it a name before you really know how it's going to shape up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you sprinkle in quick humor throughout the blog, while talking about something that seems to be out of your comfort zone. Also, I love how your voice really comes across in this, it very much sounds like you. That title is really clever, and I'm really glad that you put thought into it, because I definitely think it paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all I'll admit that I've already changed the title of my blog because I'm extremely indecisive whoops. But also I really enjoyed this post! Your voice was pretty lighthearted and entertaining but I think you also did a really good job exploring some deeper subjects (like the ever present question of finding your identity). Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will say that I read the title the wrong way at first. The naming choice is really cool now that I understand it! I'm interested in seeing how you'll develop the personality of your blog, and how similar it will be to the personality that you present to the world. "Confidence stumbl[ing]" is a great topic (and also the part where you decided a topic before you started writing... maybe I should have done that...) I can't wait for more posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts